1. EAST is a non-profit organisation. Its rights and authority are vested in the committee, which represents EAST members. Any member can choose to be on the committee.
2. The main purpose of EAST is to provide a service and system that allows its members to trade goods and services amongst one another by sharing information, skills, resources, products, and needs.
3. The unit used to value and measure an exchange is called east. One east buys/sells the same value as a conventional New Zealand dollar.
4. Members are able to trade wholly or partly in east in any transaction.
5. Each member puts a value on his or her goods & services. The seller is responsible for transferring the east from the buyer's account - ie.the seller makes all trading transactions. The seller can authorize a committee member to do this for them.
6. The EAST committee will set up each new member's account on the website. If the applicant does not specify a unique user number (used as a website Login and account number), the committee will choose one. This user number must consist of ‘east’ and 4-digiits. This cannot be changed once created. New members will receive an email confirming their EAST user number, and a temporary password.
7. Debit and credit trading limits for members are set when the member joins EAST and are at the discretion of the EAST Committee. The limits may be extended by arrangement and reviewed after one year of trading. Member’s accounts start at zero and are expected to fluctuate above and below zero, reflecting balance and our interdependence with the community. There are no penalties for being in dedication.
8. The Committee will act to remedy a situation where a member is over the limit (in either direction), which is considered contrary to the interest of the other members and to the EAST system.
9. Members may view the balance and recent activity of other members' accounts to gain more information when considering a trade, but not specifics of other members' transactions.
10. All information about a member's transactions and account, except balance and turnover (see #9), is personal and confidential, and isn't shared with other members.
11. Members receiving east for the same products and services as they do for Kiwi$ are responsible for taxes incurred through trading. EAST has no obligation or liability to report to Inland Revenue or collect taxes on their behalf.
12. Agreement on the value, condition, quality, or legality of goods and services traded by members is the responsibility of the trading members only. If a member is unsatisfied with the price or outcome of an exchange, s/he can ask the Committee to mediate the complaint with the trading partners.
13. The Committee may decide not to record a transaction that it regards as inappropriate for legal or any other reason.
14. EAST will charge a levy on each trading transaction. The percentage will be advertised on our website. This fee goes into the administration account to help cover running costs and is in addition to the suggested joining koha.
15. The committee will use email to keep members up to date and informed of any changes. If any member would prefer to use other modes of contact, please let a committee member know this.
16. Members are required to keep their contact details up to date. If you provide an email address, please ensure that you are contactable via that email address.
17. Members are in no way bound by their offerings. However, members are bound to reply when requests are made about their offerings, as to whether the member is able to fulfill the request at that time.
18. In order to keep offerings available to the community, the committee has the right to extend the date of expired listings. This may be done where the seller has not accessed their account for over 2 months and may not be aware their listings have expired. This does not obligate the seller.
19. A member can be away from the Eastland region for up to a year and still have an account, which will be put on hold. Members who want accounts put on hold need to provide the committee with their new contact details and intentions for returning. The account is reactivated upon the member's return. If the account isn't reactivated within a year, the member will be contacted. If the member won't be returning, the committee will help with closing the account.
20. If a member is planning to move out of the district or wants to leave EAST, s/he must notify EASTadmin and begin the process of bringing their account back to zero. Members in credit may either spend their east, donate them to another member or return them to EASTadmin. Members in debit will need to trade their goods or services to bring their account back to zero or use kiwi dollars to achieve that. If there is no activity in a member's account for one year, that member will receive an email from EASTadmin asking if they would like to leave the system. If "yes" then they must bring their account to zero as above. If "no' the member will be encouraged to activate their account by doing some trading.
We are a non profit community organisation. We gratefully accept koha to help cover our running costs. This can include money, east money, time, or goods or services for fundraising. Thank you for your support!
Here is our Kiwibank Account if you require it: Account Name:EAST Number: 38-9012-0834054-00 Kiwibank